Best moment: riding on the back of a motorbike back through Kigali, the city lit up around us.
Worst moment: sitting on a broken down bus in the rain – or City losing three big games in the space of a week. Not a happy Mozza.
Best spontaneous moment: Inema art gallery dance workshop and happy hour 🍺
Favourite place: Kigali – such a cool city and unlike any I’ve been in in Africa.
Best thing eaten: Kigali has a great food scene: delicious curry at Khana Khazana or huge burritos at Meze Fresh.
Worst thing eaten: terrible Chinese on memorial genocide day when we had to eat in the hotel because everything was closed.
Favourite person: Patrick at Yambi hostel, Julia, Johnny at Twiga Hotel in Huye.
- Rwanda is super clean: plastic bags are banned and one day a month all citizens do a mass clear-up as community service. Something we could adopt at home?!
- Lots about the tragic genocide, the effect it had on the country and what is being done to rebuild hope for the future
- We came during “itumbura” (long rains) which run from March to May: the best time to cultivate sweet potatoes apparently
- Traditionally, people believed that after death the spirit of the dead person became an “umuzimu”, which resides on earth, loving earth, visiting relatives and watching over the living
- How to say good morning and thank you in Kinyarwandan, often muddling them up!